This week at work Chris had some guys visiting from a company that he has gotten to know pretty well. One was from Vermont (who I promptly nicknamed "Vermont") and the other was from France (aka "Frenchie"). A third newer guy came along this time, so he was of course "Keith".
Vermont had mentioned once before that he LOVED steamed lobster. And that in fact, he was quite proficient at the whole process since he has a summer cabin in Maine. One conversation led to another, and we ended up with the Taylor House Lobsterfest. The sweet guys brought me wine, flowers, and live lobsters. It was kind of like a date. With 3 different men. At one time. With my husband there.
Being men, they promptly set the lobsters down on the floor and tried to encourage them to walk around to freak me out. Austin actually was quite taken with them. He called them "bugs" and tried to pick one up. Insert heebie- jeebies shiver here. I was not directly involved in the dropping of the lobsters into the steaming pot of boiling water (I believe in karma), but I sure as heck almost had a stroke when one tried a last ditch effort at freedom, knocking the lid off of the pot. I was behind Chris' back in .2 seconds whilst squealing in terror. This leads to my newest theory. I don't believe that lobsters actually scream when you drop them into the pot. It is probably just your wussy friend behind you making that high pitched girly sound.
The lobster was fantastic, and I am now myself a champion at the crazy cracking combination that you use to get to the sweet lobster meat (that was just walking around my kitchen). Right before bed, Austin walked into the dining room, took a look at the lobster head on Chris' plate, and finally put together what happened to the bugs he had been playing with. He very casually looked at Frenchie and said "a Bug?". When the response was yes (or "oui"), he simply said "bye bye bug" and proceeded to snag a piece of butter from the plate in front of him and pop it into his mouth. Good to know he's got a tough stomach.

"A bug?"

"Hmm. Maybe we can be friends?"

"Can I keep him?"
2 comments:
I think his means you need to get Austin some kind of pet- maybe a hermit crab or turtle....I think that would be fun:)
Love Austin's photo checking out the lobster....
I agree with Robin... maybe Austin needs a little friend.. but instead of an animal how about a little baby sis or bro ;)
Post a Comment