Friday, December 31, 2010

A Very German Christmas

I feel like our Christmas experience here can't be given enough credit through a few blog stories and photos. It has been simply amazing. I'll be honest, I did get homesick a few times (like when I tried to make my mom's pecan pie and it tasted different and I almost cried at the table in front of everyone). But having our good friends Chad and Suzanne here with us truly made our holiday. The awesome Christmas Markets and roast goose helped too. And so for your viewing pleasure, here are a few photos from our holiday. And by a "few" I mean you should go ahead and take a bathroom break and get a snack before you go any further.

Mr. Chad and Miss Suzanne have arrived!!!

Market food. We have NO idea what this was. All we know is that it was delicious.

Frauenkirche and a Gluhwein Pyramid. A gorgeous photo from Chad!

Chris and I in front of the famous Sachsen Rulers Mural.

Me: "Is that a whole cow on a spit?"

Chris: "Yes. And it's fantastic."

Chris took the ride of death this time.
    
     
Suzanne and I got saucy Santa hats.

 Gluhbier. Who knew Gluhwein had a cousin?

Suzanne and I procured little Pflaumentoffel men.

That takes skill.

We three in front of the Frauenkirche.
( In 8 layers of clothes while Austin is screaming.)


Twas the night before Christmas...

And all through the house...

Not a creature was stirring... Except for Austin seeing if the garland beads were candy.

A traditional Dresden Christmas Stollen.

 It looked yummy. Until I cut it and saw the raisins. Eww.

 Christmas Eve toy assembly.

Success at 1 am!
Austin was THRILLED with his new train table from the Grandparents.

Quite fancy!

And then Austin sat on a bow.
And we all laughed and let him walk around like that all morning.

I believe this is the "I Love Presents" dance.

This is the first year he's really been able to open presents on his own.
In fact, earlier in the week he actually smuggled a present from Chad and Suzanne's room upstairs and hid while opening it. Fortunately I heard the paper tearing and intervened before he got it all the way open. Cheeky monkey!

I made two pies in my easy bake oven.
It took forever. But SO worth it.
  
Gertrude the Christmas goose! She barely fit.
  
Dinner all ready to go! 
Roast Goose, Gramie's Filling, Gravy, Sweet Potato Casserole, Cranberry Sauce, and Green Beans (because apparently we needed a real vegetable)

Some post Christmas festivities football with Mr. Chad.

It snowed ALL week. I am kind of beginning to hate the snow.

And they lived happily ever after.
The End.
Ende.

Here's your homework. Head on over to check out ALL of our photos and Chad and Suzanne's photos on Flickr (theirs are SO much better).

Chris and Brandi's Pictures

Chad and Suzanne's Pictures

3 comments:

Robin said...

Love it! I am glad you had a good Christmas! That train table looks pretty amazing. Hope you have a happy new year!

Tracy said...

Yay!! Merry Christmas! I'm so glad y'all had such a nice time!! Glad to see Austin takes after you sneaking presents...and eating the garland! Hehehe. Too precious! Merry Chiristmas and Happy New Year!!!

Suzanne Kanick said...

Gertrude was a tasty bird... and, for the record, I liked the pecan pie! I also enjoyed the three-peat showing of A Christmas Story.