Thursday, April 28, 2011

There and Back

To get to Budapest last week, we took a 9 hour train ride. 9 hours. On a train. With a 3 year old. And then, we did the same thing coming back. Are we crazy? Maybe. But when else will we get a chance to take a train ride through Germany, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary? Exactly. Never. So we booked seats in a 1st class compartment to make the trip a little more bearable, and even had the whole compartment to ourselves on the way home! Austin did okay on the way there, and was frighteningly good on the way home.We will pretty much never do a daytime train ride like that ever again, but it was one heck of an experience. Especially since by the time the train reaches the last stop there isn't any toilet paper left in the bathrooms and the toilets are full. Gross. Now for some photos and witty commentary...

The inside of Budapest's Keleti Train Station.
aka the sketchiest place I have ever been in my life.
And I'm from West Virginia.

It really was a gorgeous train station.
Just filled with people who may or may not stab you with a shiv made out of old aluminum foil.

Okay, maybe it wasn't THAT sketchy.
Except for the 2 liter bottle filled with urine that I almost tripped over walking to the subway.
And the scary homeless people begging in the walkways.
And the "friendly" man that asked if I had a place to sleep tonight while Chris was at the ATM.
And the crazy lady who babbled at us with her crazy eyes fixed on Austin.
But other than that- totally okay.

Obviously towards the BEGINNING of the trip.

An actual photograph of ME?
Only because I asked Chris to "please take a picture of me because I'm never in any photos".

They had beer on the train.
And then Chris was happy.


When did Austin start fake cheesing like this?
Seriously. He was acting like one of those bad kids on Super Nanny 5 minutes before this.

Watching Hungary go by.

The hallway outside of our compartment.

Speaking of Hungary-
The Dining Car!
Get it- Hungary? Hungry? No?

Me squeezing the poo out of Austin while we wait for our lunch.

Cheese and meat tray.
Yummy yummy in my tummy!

We're in Bratislava, Slovakia!
K-bye.

Nap time.

Movie time.

Picture time!

3 comments:

phuong said...

Austin is too cute in pictures. I just can't believe he is the terror you make him out to be! :)

Glad the train ride was a success! Pictures of Budapest next?

Lulu said...

I would've been scared for a 9 hour train ride too, but like you said, when else could you do something so incredibly cool?!
Love all the pictures, especially the nap one where chris is cuddling up with a sheep (or a stuffed version of MJ).

Suzanne Kanick said...

wow, you guys are brave (or stupid... hmm, which one? haha). really nice to see some pictues of your pretty face for a change, too. glad you had a good trip!