Thursday, June 23, 2011

Showing Off

I love Dresden. I am sure part of my love for this city lies in the fact that I have always known that our stay here was temporary. So I try to enjoy my experiences the best I can. And when we have people come visit, well all the more reason to brag on my home city. After our crazy German road trip, coming home was a wonderful reprieve. Fortunately for Katy and Ellen, the city is chock full of fun things to do. So we tried our darnedest to squeeze in all that we could. That meant many days where we dropped Austin off at Kita at 9 am and went nonstop until 3pm when I pick him up. 
I ALMOST wore Ellen out. Almost...

Austin and Auntie Katy enjoying the tram ride.

 We totally went in and got photo booth pictures.
And they are priceless.

 We lit candles at the Frauenkirche.

 Katy and Ellen in front of the Furstenzug.
With rain.

 We toured the Zwinger Gardens, along with the beautiful Nymph Baths.


 I have been to the Zwinger Gardens a handful of times.
And SOMEHOW always missed the infamous Meissen Porcelain Glockenspiel.
Apparently I had been walking under it every time.
At least I'm pretty.

 That's EXACTLY how I wash my hair.

We also toured the Old Master's Gallery.
It has beautiful art pieces. Including Raphael's Sistine Madonna (with the bored angels), a few pieces by Vermeer (the Girl with the Pearl Earring artist) and my favorite- The Chocolate Maid by Liotard.

 Auntie Katy showed Austin some soccer moves.
ONE of them took the play a bit seriously.

 He may be taking a break from soccer for a short while.

 Katy and Ellen in front of the Elbe River with the downtown Dresden skyline in the background.

 Austin acquired an impressive scraped knee.
Or two.

We took a river boat cruise for lunch.

Austin was happy as a clam!

 It was really interesting!
This is the Blue Wonder Bridge in Dresden.
No Smurfs were harmed in the building of this bridge.

 The ladies enjoying ANOTHER biergarten.

We decided to class it up a bit and enjoyed a girl's night out.
For starters? An awesome Thai dinner.

 Did I mention that the food was awesome?

 Then off to the Semperoper for a ballet!

 The theater was breathtakingly beautiful.

 Ready for some culture!

 Gorgeous.

After the second intermission we realized that we had been sitting in the Turd section.
Katy and I had been holding ourselves together quite well seeing as a naked man had danced onto the stage in the previous contemporary piece. Needless to say we lost our composure once we saw our section name. It was the turd that broke the camel's back.

No comments: