Have you ever had one of those moments when you decide that you can no longer continue doing the same things over and over again? That if you don't do something different that you may possibly die of boredom? Well, last week I cracked. Or cracked some more. Whatever. But it was decided at 10:00 pm on a Friday night that I MUST redo this table. Like, on Saturday. Chris kindly nodded and kept his thoughts to himself. (Gosh I love him.) Saturday morning I drove to Home Depot and returned one hour later with all the things I needed to save myself from death by boredom.
If you know us, you know this table. We've had it FOREVER. It is so gross on the top that paper plates stick to it. No matter how much I scrub it, it cannot be saved. On our move from Germany, the movers wrapped it in bubble wrap, which then actually melted a bubble pattern onto the surface of the table in the hot shipping container. That and there is a huge bald spot where someone accidentally laid a reed diffuser directly on the finish. I won't name any names. But it was me.
After scouring the Internet and Pinterest for some instruction on how to paint furniture, I pieced together several recommendations and started with a heavy duty degreaser. I love using chemical warfare on grime.
Next I sanded. I sanded like I've never sanded before.
I considered changing my name to Sandy.
Next was taping. This was a huge waste of time.
Because after the fact I decided that those parts should be painted as well.
I was THIS close to being perfect. But that tape is kind of fun.
At the Home Depot I had to get a sponge roller (it goes on smoother), some paint, and some primer.
And a Snickers bar at the checkout.
Because Mama got hungry.
Then I primed it. I never prime anything. I'm too impatient. But I did this time.
It ended up kind of streaky. And I'm not sure exactly why. I'll have to Google it.
But since I wasn't going for a perfectly smooth finish I wasn't too worried.
Then I painted 4 thin layers of chalkboard paint, letting it dry for about an hour in between coats.
Yep. Chalkboard paint.
Because I'm a genius.
Until I looked online and found out that other people had apparently had this idea before me.
Whatever. I'm still a genius.
Ta Da!
Then the hard part.
Don't use it for 4 days.
Again, I'm a little impatient.
This was torture.
Day 4.
I covered the whole surface with a fine layer of chalk.
I have no idea why. One of the websites said to do it. So I did. I'm a sheep.
Wiped it down with a dry cloth.
Ready to roll.
Wait, first I needed chalk.
Then I was ready to roll.
This is the day that Austin finally realized that he has the coolest mom ever.
Finally.
I may have done some doodling as well.
In my defense, the boy asked me to draw him a map.
I may have been a bit over zealous.
And I may have even already used for my own purposes.
Overall, I think it was the best thing I could have done to salvage that table.
It looks so much better and Austin has a blast drawing on it. And paper plates don't stick to it anymore.
But a stern warning: chalkboard paint is highly addictive.
I am finding myself looking around our house wondering what else could be turned in to a chalkboard surface.
Chris is getting nervous.
So is my pantry door.

6 comments:
That is WONDERFUL!! In our old house we painted a chalk board on the wall and framed it with painted wood trim. It was cute. In our current house the upstairs has a little half wall that lines the length of the staircase and the old owners made that whole thing chalkboard! It's really fun (and it's in the kid zone).
Now you've got me thinking i need this to write my grocery list on. You are a genius. Bravo.
I LOVE chalkboard paint. I'm thinking that there's no overdoing it. Like why couldn't all the WALLS in my house be chalkboard?? We should probably by stock in chalk...
This.is.awesome! I like that you fall for that candy at the register at home depot too. THIS girl does it too. It's there for a reason. And now you can come and prime/paint my little cabinet. Because if you are bored, you can jump in the car, drive 9 hours, and together we can sand/prime/paint half of PA. They won't know what hit them.
That's so cool! I'm very impressed! I bet Austin will always remember his parents' cool chalkboard table!
In case you have not yet found the answer to your googling query, the roll on type primers tend to be streaky sometimes when they are over applied. They can be finicky when used on smaller surfaces. The spray on types are a little easier to use and dry much faster with a smoother finish most times. Also they tend to be a little cheaper and can leave you with that lovely loopy sensation if you forget to use in a ventilated area (not that I know of any such things). The roll on ones are usually oil based and tend to work best for larger objects that are going to be top coated with oil based paints or outdoor paints.
Anyway ... geek out over - the table looks great!!!
I promise you, Austin already knew what an awesome mom he has. This just confirmed it. You are a rock star. Check and check.
AND I wanted chalkboards at our wedding, but they're too expensive to buy a lot of. So, you're also an awesome friend (which I, of course, also already knew) and solved my conundrum and totally made my day!!
Reference again the rock star comment. :o)
Post a Comment