Friday, July 17, 2009

Summer in the City


This past weekend brought with it a visit from my Mommy and little brother Chase. He just graduated from Army Cavalry Scout School (SO PROUD OF HIM!) and is on leave for a few weeks before shipping off to his next post overseas. Boy was I happy to have him here for a few days! Chase had said a few weeks back that he wanted to see New York City before he left the country. And New York City we provided. It was a whirlwind tour, but we hit the hot spots. And I think for him seeing Ground Zero was a quiet reminder as to why his new job as a soldier is so important. We stopped at Liberty State Park in NJ and were able to see the Manhattan skyline, Ellis Island, and the Statue of Liberty. A big bonus? Austin could run around like a maniac while we took in the sights.
Next was our Nascar inspired drive through Manhattan. I am pretty sure that if I had been driving we would have hit numerous pedestrians, a few Police horses, and a at least a dozen cars. Chris is such an amazing driver. He even commented about how it feels good to drive into the city every now and then, because it keeps his driving skills sharp. Funny, all it does for me is induce mini Strokes.

Resting up for the big day.

The Statue of Liberty (so much smaller than I thought she would be)

Ellis Island (which I would love to tour someday soon - cough, cough, Chris)

The NYC skyline

Mommy, Chase, and the Statue of Liberty (not in that order)

No comments: