Sunday, November 15, 2009

Prematurity Awareness Month


Since Chris has our camera with him in Europe, and I am somehow not quite as motivated to take pictures with the camcorder, I thought I would post some VERY early photos of Austin. And by early I mean HE was early. I try not to bring up the fact that Austin was born at 33 weeks often. Even when other Mommies start the "well MY baby was born with THIS problem" discussion. I don't want it to be who he is. Because he is a happy, energetic, healthy little boy now (albeit a little smaller than the other guys). So poo poo on those first few months, right? Forget about how scary they were. But then I am reminded of how lucky I am. How lucky he was. And that I need to not try to forget, but remember to be THANKFUL. So here are some of those pictures. Because they are cute. And because November is Prematurity Awareness Month. So be aware.


Since Austin was hooked up to so many wires, and a feeding tube I would sing "I Got No Strings" from Pinocchio whenever we unhooked him for the weigh-ins.

Mom and Dad, holding his tiny hands.

Under light therapy for Jaundice. I used to tell him that he was going to Jamaica for a baby Spring Break whenever the light was turned on.

Getting some sun on his bum.

I wanted a photo to show how small he was, so I used my hand for scale. And I have small hands.

Best nurse. EVER. She had a great sense of humor and made Austin finish his bottles of breast milk so he could go home. I joked that when he was 8 and wouldn't eat his peas that I was going to call her.

With the "Toilet Bowl" sticker on his head to measure Jaundice levels.

Daddy feeding Austin. It was a GREAT day when they removed his feeding tube and he went straight to nursing and a bottle.

Free at last!

Relaxing at home.

Sweetest little face.

3 comments:

Ruth Ann & Patrick said...

I love the eye mask!

And that last picture...precious! I just want to kiss those cheeks!

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness, you've gotten me all choked up!!!

I'm very thankful you have such a precious, wonderful little boy too! The last picture is just priceless!!

Robin said...

I will never forget getting that email saying he was born and being utterly confused and really scared for you guys. I am so glad the scariness turned into happiness. I can't wait to meet him - he sleeps a lot right? :) :)