Read all about it here : Dresden Striezelmarkt and here Wikipedia Dresden Striezelmarkt.
I swear we are always running into other Expats when we're out. We joined some friends and had some Gluhwein to stay warm!
Austin rode this train four times. We sat him next to our friend's gorgeous daughter to stay warm. And I don't think he minded one bit!
Snug as a bug!
Even the trash can is Christmasy!
They have little houses where you can go in to warm up and make crafts with your children. We decided on coloring a canvas bag celebrating the Pflaumentoffel (more about that later).
Getting to work.
Daddy helped!
And the finished product. I'm keeping it forever.
There he is. The Pflaumentoffel. He's made out of prunes and is supposed to be good luck. Supposedly it depicts a Chimney Sweep or his Apprentice. The prunes came into play in the 1800's, when poor families would make the figurines out of prunes and send their children into the Christmas Markets to sell them for extra income.
Oh look, another ride.
Chris wants to ride that thing. I do not.
The infamous Christmas Pyramid. You may remember seeing one in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. You know, the wooden thing Cousin Eddie breaks?
Except this one is 14 meters tall. Break THAT cousin Eddie!
The Schwibbogen. An arched candle holder that everyone puts in their windows. This one is big enough to walk across!
Lots of stalls selling cool things I want need to buy. I am definitely getting at least one Herrnhut Star.
I love how detailed the displays above the stalls are.
This thing looks OLD.
Let's ride it!
Okay. Mommy is afraid of heights. And she was also raised to believe that any carnival ride that is going to raise you over 2 feet in the air will fall apart due to shoddy workmanship and kill you.
But Austin didn't seem to mind.
Happy to be alive.
The tram ride home. Austin was wiped out and telling us to be quiet.
Home to warm up before next weekend's next Christmas Market adventure!







3 comments:
German Christmas markets are my favorite!!! We went almost every year when we were in Paris. Germans do Christmas way better than the French!
Gosh they have so many fun activities for you guys to do there! That place looks magical...and cold ;)
My guess is that Austin had the teal marker and Bubba had the black and purple, n'est–ce pas?
Post a Comment