Last week we did the "trial run" which included me going in on Monday and sitting in the class with him for two hours. Then Tuesday they told me I could stay in for 30 minutes then wait outside the classroom. I sat in a freezing coat room reading Jane Eyre while he played with his new friends and didn't shed one tear. Then Wednesday they waved me off and told me to come back for him at 11. Thursday and Friday, same deal. Each time, he gave me a quick kiss and told me "bye bye" and "you go now". But the big test my friends, will be tomorrow morning when I drop him off and he stays through lunch AND nap time. I am a nervous wreck. Wish us luck!
And now, photos from his first day of Kita!
I'm going to dress him in little old man sweaters until he is old enough to protest.
Well, he stood still for a few seconds.
And now onto more layers. And gorilla made an appearance.
He was ready to roll and tired of me taking pictures.
Tram ride to school! The first of the two trams we take for our commute.
It takes us about 30 minutes to get there.
It was a very rainy and chilly morning, so we used the stroller and rain cover to keep him dry.
I broke out the camera and the kids scattered.
Except for Austin who is apparently used to his paparazzi mother.
Why look at that handsome and well adjusted child! What a fabulous mother he must have!
The coat room where the leave their "outside clothes".
Each child has a sticker that shows them what cubby is theirs. The same goes for in the bathroom with their sleeping clothes cubby and toothbrush/washcloth hook. German children are much more self sufficient than we raise our children to be.
They are expected to:
*Wash their hands before and after each snack/ meal.
*Brush their teeth after lunch.
*Change into sleeping clothes for their nap, and their outside clothes for the playground.
*Clean up the toys at various intervals throughout the day.
Oh- and did I mention that his teachers speak very limited English and the entire class is addressed in German? Austin will be learning a lot!






2 comments:
Oh my goodness, he cannot be old enough to be going to 'school' this is just craziness! And he's gonna be bilingual!!!
1. Good looks from his mom: Check
2. Smarts from his mom and dad: check
3. second language from Germany: check
He will be unstoppable! I will vote for him when he runs for President.
We moved to Germany when Travis was 18 months old. He also went to German Kindergarten. After 3 months he understood and spoke german. He still understands alot of it even now. Especially, "Machen es schnell!"
Post a Comment