Monday, March 14, 2011

Dublin or nothin'

The Taylor's have conquered yet another country. Ireland is by far my favorite place we've visited. The people are friendly (except for the a-holes at Ryan Air), the grass is greener, the food is fulfilling, and the Guinness tastes better. Here is the run down of what we did on the Emerald Isle with our pals Chad and Suzanne:

*Ate dinner and drank a pint (or two) at the oldest pub in Ireland- The Brazen Head.
*Visited St. Patrick's Cathedral, where an old Irish priest patted Austin on the head.
*Waked around Dublin, taking in the quaint streets and neighborhoods.
*Toured the Guinness Brewery and learned how to pour the perfect pint.
*Visited Trinity College and saw the Book of Kells and The Long Room of the Old Library.
*Had a drink at a the most beautiful cafe I have ever set foot in- Cafe en Seine.
*Got fish and chips from Burdocks, a place visited by Anthony Bourdain on No Reservations.
*Chris drove on the "wrong" side of the road and in the "wrong" side of the car through Dublin, down the highway, and along the smallest dirt roads in Ireland. He is officially a champion driver.
*Walked along The Hill of Tara. Stepped in sheep poo.
*Visited Trim Castle. It's where they filmed part of Braveheart, so we took Mel Gibson with us (sort of).
*Saw the Newgrange Passage Tomb from the outside (because they closed right as we got there- boo).
*Chris defied the unintelligible and confusing signs leading to another Neolithic site by finding the visitor's center (which was also closed- again- boo).
*Drove along the coast of Ireland, and took in the sea air.
*Ate our last meal in Ireland. A traditional Irish Breakfast. Yummmmmmm.
* Lamented not seeing either Darby O'Gill OR the little people. Maybe next time.

And we did it all in two days!
Now a few photos...

First night at the Brazen Head. Austin was pooped.

Fish and Chips dinner #1

St. Patrick's Cathedral

Inside the Cathedral. It was HUGE!
In other news, Austin went #2 in his diaper while we were walking around. 
What is it about old cathedrals and him pooing his pants? Remember inside the Prague Castle Cathedral?

And then there was Chris' favorite part of the trip...

Learning the art of pouring the perfect pint!

Chad and Suzanne accepting their Perfect Pint Certificates.
I always knew they were certifiable.

Sláinte!
To great beer with great friends!

Beef and Guinness stew. Drool.

The Long Hall of Trinity College's Old Library.
A stolen photo from online since they wouldn't allow photography. Boo.

Christ Church Cathedral.

Dublin doors. I love the colors!

Beautiful hot chocolate at my new favorite cafe on earth.

I would like to live here please.

Dublin Castle. It was eh.

Best fish and chips. Anthony Bourdain approved.

Hello lover.

Celtic Cross on Hill of Tara.

My big strong men standing where Irish Kings were crowned.

Hostage Mound. Don't get caught.

Phallic stone on Hill of Tara.

Braveheart?!

Wow! He even popped into MY picture!
We were laughing so hard about having Mel's head in our photos that I think we scared off the other tourists. Once again- those crazy Americans.

Trim Castle model. The castle used to be white with a tile roof! So LA.

Poor Austin.

I heart old creepy castles.

Seriously. I would have gotten married here if I could have.

What is wrong with this picture?
Oh yes. We are on the "wrong" side of the road.

Newgrange. Pretty from afar.

Shaun the sheep.
Apparently he had been drinking before we got there.

Chris victorious after finding the visitor's center that Ireland doesn't want you to find.

Irish coast.

Irish breakfast.
I am beginning to agree that Heinz beans are a proper addition to any breakfast.


For ALL of the pictures from our trip and additional witty commentary go here:

2 comments:

Robin said...

Love it. Looking at your pictures make my life feel SO boring. Oh the life of an expat! I also love that Austin got some use out of his Norwegian hat :)

phuong said...

SO much fun! I love the pictures of the food. That's my favorite. Especially all the fried stuff. YUM!

Robin, we had our turn! Now it's Brandi's! :)