Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tea for Two


If you know me, then you know that I LOVE sweet tea. With a slice of lemon. And fresh brewed, none of that bottled crap. With that now known, you will be shocked to know that I have not made sweet tea since we arrived  Germany. Why you ask? Because I'm lazy. I became very reliant upon my handy dandy iced tea maker back in the states. Remove brain- make delicious tea. I was actually on my second tea maker in 10 years when we moved over here. I used it ALL THE TIME. But we were forewarned not to try to bring over any small appliances with us- that even with a converter that their little engines would be fried within months. No sir. No one is going to fry MY iced tea pot. It is safe in a storage unit in NY, anxiously awaiting my return. And 6 months later I realize how badly I really want a good glass of iced tea. So I made room in the freezer, got the ice cubes a-freezin', and broke out an old fashioned southern cookbook where they tell you how to make iced tea the old school way.

 Family sized Lipton tea bags from the US. Check.
Water boiling mechanism. Check.
Timer. Check.
Large plastic container purchased for this purpose exclusively. Check.
Sugar. Double check.
Cookbook that tells a technology dependent gal how to make iced tea. Check.

 This is how Mama Dip says it should be done.

For the record, as I was going through this labor intensive process, I was thinking about my Gramie. The saintly woman who NEVER used an iced tea pot, and made enough tea to hydrate legions of Websters in the heat of summer. Then I felt like a weenie for complaining. Sorry Gramie! I'll man up next time ;o)

And when the whole process was done? It tasted amazing. Not as good as what my pot at home makes, but pretty darn close. And good enough for Chris and I to drink it before I remembered that I hadn't taken a picture of the finished product!

2 comments:

Lyddi said...

HAHAHA!!!! You are hilarious!! I really cannot believe you actually had to look up how to make this. crazy girl.. next time, when its a little warmer outside, try making suntea. Now THAT is some good stuff!! Gotta find a glass container and just let the water heat up in the sun with the tea bags in it :) de-licious!!
happy sippin'!

Robin said...

Funny as always. So I am loving the blog background. How did you get it up there? Is it a stock photo or yours? I need details because I am annoyed with my background right now....