Friday, July 13, 2012

Beached Babe

Oh where, oh where, have we three been?
 I seem to recall West Virginia, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and back to New York. In a car.
At some point I may have been convinced that I was in Hell. But that was just the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Apparently that mistake is often made.
Austin and I hit the road and visited some of my clan in Pennsylvania on our way to West Virginia. Where I quite unceremoniously left my child in the care his grandparents for a week. I then hightailed it back to New York (Only after stopping and staying the night with my BFF. It involved burritos, beer, and nail polish. It was awesome.) Back home I slept, read, ate bagels, and did a crap ton of painting around the house. It was awesome too. Then came the trip BACK to West Virginia with my main squeeze Chris. We spent a lot of time being confused about the lack of small kicks on our seats and constant commentary coming from the back seat. Once back in the bosom of our Mountain Mama, we were allowed one night of rest before heading even deeper South. Isle of Palms, South Carolina. It's one of those small islands right across the water from Charleston, SC. And I'll just go ahead and put the word out that Charleston may possibly be my favorite place in the US...

Where did I get my worst sunburn?
On my feet.
Because I can't help but bury them in the sand.
Which in turn rubs all of your sunscreen off.
Then the South Carolina sun deep fries them.

Austin's first REAL beach trip.
He is irreversibly in love.

Our DNA MAKES us bury our feet in the sand.

It doesn't get much better than that.

Burying yourself in the sand can wipe a boy out.
Best to take a nap...

On a beach chair completely covered up by beach towels...

Naked.

And the food?
Oh geez.
I had She Crab Soup for the first time ever.
I now need an intervention.

Sweetest thing.

Seriously, he never stops moving.

Cooling off in the pool.
This was right before the mosquitos carried me off.

Then downtown Charleston.
I want to live here.
Not just in Charleston, but in the cupcake shop.

Maybe THIS is the sweetest thing.

At this point I began to wonder if my Mother In Law was fattening me up a la Hansel and Gretel. 
I decided to keep eating and avoid any large ovens.

I think I was on She Crab Soup bowl number 3 for the week thus far.
And this was Tuesday.

Gas lanterns.
My kryptonite.

If I could sit here all day I would.

As long as someone was bringing one of these out to me every so often.

I bought it because the bag was cute.
But they were gosh darn delicious!

She Crab Soup. Have I ever told you that I LOVE She Crab Soup?

Chris and I took an afternoon to walk Downtown Charleston.
I was in it for the Water Ice and old houses.

Beautiful streets.

Beautiful homes.

Beautiful knockers.
Hehehehehehe.

Seriously?
Could this place BE any more perfect?

Chris let me dress him and then complied with my request for him to stand against a pink wall, a la senior picture.
I love him.

See?

My sister in law made shrimp and grits for breakfast.
I helped. A little.
Then I ate. A lot.

Room with a view.
Good grief I love the South.

1 comment:

Lulu said...

That trip sounds freaking fantastic. And I am jealous that Austin is such a good napper, he needs to teach Bria ASAP.