From the day we moved into this house, I swore I was going to repaint the Dining Room. Was it the color that offended me so? No. Was it the fact that the previous owners used flat paint in a high traffic area that showed DNA evidence of every person who ever walked into the room? Hecks yes. Those walls were NASTY.
And here's a fact for you:
When you try to clean walls painted with dark flat paint- you will only make them look WORSE.
So what did I do while Austin was at Camp Grandparents for a week?
I painted.
And ate bagels.
But mostly painted.
And here's another fact for you:
Deciding to paint a room with chair rails may be the stupidest thing you'll ever do.
(And I've gone down a hill in a grocery cart.)
The walls were beginning to look like a gross chalk board.
Streaky and smeared walls + a lot of sunlight = eww.
Chris, of course, never even noticed.
Mid way.
Regretting my decision a little bit.
This is when you need the Flogging Molly's Pandora Music Station to get you through.
Unfortunately that usually also makes you want a beer and to punch someone.
Oh, but AFTER? It is glorious. A fabulous eggshell finish, chocolate pudding can be easily wiped off of the walls. And the color looks better.
So after a successful Dining Room job- why not move on to another room?
Like the yellow room.
I have been dying to paint a room gray since the beginning of time.
I petitioned for the basement to be a light gray color, but that idea was shot down by a certain person who shall remain unnamed.
Chris.
So the yellow guest room it was.
Especially since the walls were pretty banged up and I counted 18 nail holes.
Seriously people?
18?
So back to the grind.
Taping, spackling, sanding, cleaning, and then painting. Not in that order.
I felt this room had more of an Avett Brothers Pandora Station vibe.
Oh yeah, this is what I'm talking about.
Mother Nature trying to copy my new color.
And then came the blisters.
Bad ass.
Success!
Then I got a second wind and painted all of the trim and the doors.
Then I got a third wind and went to Home Depot and got new outlet covers and a Snickers bar.
Then I realized that I couldn't lift my arms.
And that I had stepped in a spot of paint in my bare feet and tracked a tiny gray splotch all over my house.
I wouldn't call it a flawless victory.
But I do love how a new coat of paint makes everything seem cleaner, fresher, and more mine.
Now to do some decorating.
And I should probably get a Snickers...





No comments:
Post a Comment