Saturday, May 30, 2009

Take me home, country roads...


This last week was about as action packed as a Bond film. Austin being Bond of course. I would be more along the lines of "M". I'm going to do this list style so I don't have to fire any neurons in my brain and form paragraphs.

  • We drove the 10 hours to WV, and survived.
  • Austin got his first REAL pair of big boy shoes (no more leather booties) and his first haircut. It took Mom cutting the front, me cutting the back, and Ellen to keep him happy and somewhat still to get the job done. By the end he looked a bit like Hayley Mills in "The Parent Trap". But it was finally out of his face!
  • I spent a few days at home relaxing with my Mom and Dad, then we headed off to Ft. Knox to see Chase during his Boot Camp Family Weekend.
  • On the way we stopped and visited with some family friends and they graciously allowed Austin to run around their home to burn off some steam.
  • We spent a great weekend with what I can only describe as a much thinner, thoughtful, and mature Chase.
  • I bought him an ice cream cone about 10 minutes after the Drill Sergeant cut him loose. That's what big sisters are for. Plus some idiot thought it would be a good idea to allow an ice cream truck to make its rounds past the Boot Camp barracks. Seriously? If I were there everyday hungry and sleep deprived I probably would have shot the tires out of that bad boy and pillaged the freezer for a Rocket Pop.
  • Chase had a very relaxing weekend that involved a few steak dinners, some video games, lots of sleep, watching ESPN, a visit to the zoo, and family time. I was tempted a few times to run into his room while he was sleeping and start yelling "Green Line" which is when they have to hustle and get in line for the Drill Sergeant no matter what time it is or what they are doing. But he's in pretty good shape now and could probably pound me into the ground. So I resisted.
  • When we got back to Charleston, Austin and I headed over to Nana and Pop's place for some Taylor family time. Chris had flown in from Oregon and was waiting for us. Boy was Austin happy to see Daddy! We had a nice rest of the trip and Austin got about as much love and attention as a baby could ask for from Nana, Pop, and of course the two doggies.

Austin doing a "new shoes pose"

Distraction is our game.

New haircut! Now he looks like a little boy/ Hayley Mills. Now mommy is sad.

Dad and Chase in front of a Bradley Fighting Machine.
Chase will learn to drive one of those in the next few weeks.

Proud Papa.

Dad spent a good amount of his time running up and down the hallway of our hotel to keep Austin occupied. Dad should do well on his National Guard PT test now!

Testing Austin for peanut allergies at the Texas Roadhouse.

Chase's first meal as a free man for the weekend.

Mommy and Chase. ($5 she cries when she sees this picture)


All weekend Austin would laugh and smile at Chase but wouldn't really let him hold him. When we dropped Chase off, I handed Austin to him for a picture and Austin latched onto him like white on rice. I had to pry him away! Better late than never.

Austin doing what he does best. Running.

This picture cracks me up. Austin frolicking in the field area while the soldiers behind him are getting a shakedown to make sure they didn't bring any contraband back with them to training. I think he's smiling because he can hear the Drill Sergeants yelling at Uncle Chase and his friends.

And last but not least, Austin and Daddy on our second hike of the season. We had a great time with Nana and Pop at Kanawha State Forest! The trails are definitely a bit more rugged than we are used to. But it was beautiful.


1 comment:

Lulu said...

It sounds like you guys had a great time and Austin is getting bigger by the minute. His little shoes are adorable!