Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I see London...


but I haven't seen France, OR  your underpants (thank heavens). And now, our trip in photos. It really was hard to choose from the 427 pictures we took. So enjoy a few...

 Rooms in London are notoriously expensive, or you can go cheap and leave the room itchy and remorseful in the morning. We were VERY pleased with our room.

 Sometimes, we are such Hillbillies. We stood around and looked at this fruit tray and water afraid to touch it wondering how much it cost. It was, of course, complimentary. Which was good, because Austin ate it all.

 A late dinner from a local grocery store. A jacket potato with beans and cheese. 
I have gas just looking at the picture.

 We took one of those hop on and hop off double decker bus tours.
TOTALLY worth the money. We got to see all of the major sights with some commentary thrown in.

 I would like to live here please.

 I love old buildings.

Umm. I wasn't paying attention and can't remember what this was... 

 Big Ben!


 Parliament, Thames River, The London Eye.

 The London Eye. One thing we chose not to do. Us, including an active toddler, in a capsule with 22 other people for 30 minutes. No thank you. I do not wish to be bludgeoned to death with an umbrella.

 Bullet holes compliments of the Germans.

 I should have been a princess. I heart turrets.

 Sweeney Todd? Anyone?


 And a lunch of fish and chips at the Sherlock Holmes Pub.

 We fit in some running in the alley beside the pub while Chris finished his pint.

 The Green Park. Originally a burial ground for lepers (which is why some say it is so green).
Gross.

 Gates to Buckingham Palace.

 Where to go...

 God save the Queen!
I taught Austin to say this and he frequently shouted it at random times while we were there.

 Hmmm. Perhaps I should place similar gates in front of our next home?

 The boys waiting for the changing of the guard.

 I couldn't get over how much they looked like the guards from the Wizard of Oz.

 Fuzzy hats are so in right now.

 These guys were badass (excuse my language).

 The palace was very impressive. It kinda makes the White House look plain.

 Ahh yes. Austin steps in front of the camera.

 Elizabeth Regina (or Queen Elizabeth in Latin)

 Of course I was going to get a lamp photo in here.

Amazing.

 Poor little guy was wiped.

 Hey Chris, do you know what time it is?

 About to place a call to Austin Powers.

 My favorite part. The Tower of London.
Nerdy history buff giggle.





 Where Anne Boleyn lost her head.

 Beefeaters.


 In front of the small chapel where the remains of those executed here lay. Including Ann Boleyn and Lady Jane Grey (wives of Henry the VIII).


 Now THAT is old.


 Austin and I on our Thames River tour after sunset.



 Oxford Street. I could have done some serious shopping there.
Could have. Sigh.

 The British Museum was so cool! I could live there.

 The REAL Rosetta Stone. I had to knock over a few old ladies to get this picture, because for the most part there is always a crowd gathered around it.

I COULD make a tasteless joke about this being a statue of Henry VIII's wives. But I won't.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love all your pictures so much!!!

Lulu said...

Holy cow, all of these pictures are amazing. It sounds like you guys had such an incredible time. I'm not even a history buff and this is all fascinating to me. So cool.

Robin said...

Great photos! Looks like you guys had a blast! How long were you there?

phuong said...

I love food pictures! Especially ones that inspire gas. Glad you had a great hotel and had an awesome time! You should go back and do a shopping trip! Did you take Austin to Hamleys?!?!?