Monday, November 8, 2010

Pfefferkuchenmarkt

I'm sure you did what I did when I tried to read that word- the Pfefferwhatsawhatsa? It is the Gingerbread Market held in a town called Pulsnitz not far from Dresden. Word on the street is that this place has been making gingerbread since 1558! We figured that any place that has been making a baked good for THAT long has got to have it down by now. Unfortunately, the weather was complete crapo. Rainy and cold. But the Gluhwein and gingerbread cookies were worth it. Mmmmm. Cookies. And I finally have the feeling back in all of my fingers. Almost.

 We didn't take as many pictures as we normally would because of the rain. If I get Chris' new camera wet he'll never let me touch it again.
Seriously.

 Run, run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread Man!
Apparently someone finally nabbed the little guy and mounted him on a nice plate on the side of a building in Germany.

 Austin's first taste of gingerbread. The verdict? Mmmmmmm.

 Train shaped gingerbread. Brilliant!

 Chris warming up a bit.

 Gluhwein.
It hits you fast.

 Oh yeah. Chris is all about market food.
He actually recently expressed concerned about my lack of enthusiasm for eating unidentified food items from a stall in the middle of a town square.

But this? This was good.
Potato that has been spiraled, battered, rolled in something and fried.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a great time at the festival! What a charming town-we kept our mugs as a souvenier...you got better pics than I did, kept my camera tucked away most of the time.

Katy Tay said...

Mmmmm...Fried anything on a stick...Mmmmmmm. So you learned how to make this most fantastic of gingerbread cookies and will be baking for me upon your return to the continent, no?

phuong said...

Market food on a stick is the best. You will be converted soon enough! Can't wait for you to go to the Christmas markets in Germany!!

Tracy said...

Mmmmmm, market food! So, you and Austin will both be gettin' learned...about different, fabulous things! :o)