Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sunny Days and Birthdays

Last week one of Austin's friends had a birthday party which I am pretty sure we will never experience the likes of again. We met in the old part of Dresden for a horse and carriage ride around historic downtown and stopped for some ice cream sundaes at a fancy dessert shop. Then we went to one of our favorite restaurants/ biergartens for some dinner (which Chris was able to join us for).  It was a beautiful day and Austin had a blast with his little friends. Even the birthday boy (who had broken his arm the week before) seemed to be enjoying himself. For me, it was one of those days when I realized how much I really have loved living in this city. Even if they don't have a Chik-Fil-A or ice cubes.

 There are street performers all over the place during the warmer weather. This guy was making bubbles big enough to carry off a toddler!

 Trying to get a group of little kids to pose for a picture is not easy.

 The horses were much more agreeable.

 Let's try again...
Nope. Not going to happen.

 Austin was fascinated by the horses pulling us along.

 Beautiful scenery.

 The driver and the horses were very patient, considering they had a whole bunch of kids eating cupcakes and talking during the ride.

 Please, make yourself comfortable.
Only my child.

 Running off the cupcakes.

 Water fountains are my favorite thing in Europe. They are everywhere, and honest to goodness on a hot day, standing next to one with an ice cream cone in hand almost makes up for the no air conditioning thing.

 Ice cream sundaes.
Austin is in the zone.

 Another great thing in Dresden, they have dog drinking bowls everywhere. 
I LOVE* when Austin plays in them.
*this is sarcasm

 Bubble blowing is where it's at.

Fountain fishing is pretty cool too.
No, he didn't catch anything.
Unless he contracted some type of bacteria that we don't know about yet.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I LOVE how hard Austin is laughing in the first group picture! TOO adorable. The group pics are really cute.

AND I think this is what I want to do for my birthday this year! Carriage ride, bubbles, ice cream sundaes, playing in a park, and a biergarten, check! Sign me up!